Ensuring that your sales team are targeting effective prospects and leads relies solely on ensuring your sales process is able to identify high-value, engaged contacts.
By perfecting your sales process to guarantee that your sales team are targeting valuable contacts it ensures you aren’t wasting time, money and resource in targeting ineffective, low-value contacts and prospects.
A great tool you can use to evaluate the quality of your prospects is lead scoring.
If you’re using HubSpot this guide is a perfect way to focus on implementing lead scoring using its automation tools.
What is Lead Scoring?
It is the process of assigning a numerical value to contacts, in terms of their worthiness for your company to pursue further marketing activities and, indeed, sales messages.
You can assign values based on a variety of marketing attributes (of which there are many in HubSpot to choose from) and amend them on a regular basis as you gather more data about your leads and customers.
The idea is that the higher their lead score, the more valuable they are to your company - and therefore, the more urgent it is that you engage with them ASAP.
Take a look at this explainer video from HubSpot:
How to Define Your Lead Scores
Focus on a mix of your marketing and sales information that you typically have to hand about a customer, this could be:
- Online behaviour
- Demographic information
- Company details
- Engagement via social, email, etc.
When it comes to ranking these criteria it is down to reviewing the data you have to hand, industry standards and insights from your team. Make sure you speak to sales, marketing and dig deep into your analytics too. All of these sources should help you to identify what matters most when it comes to targeting effective sales leads.
How to use Lead Scoring within HubSpot
Lead scoring criteria and setup processes have changed since the start of 2020, so it may be time to review your lead scoring process if you already had it set up.
To use lead scoring in HubSpot you require a professional or enterprise account to customise the default Hubspot Score property and qualify leads based on custom criteria.
- Go to Settings (the ‘cog’ icon) via the main navigation bar.
- In the left sidebar menu, go to Properties.
- Search or browse for HubSpot Score or one of your custom score properties (Enterprise users only) and click the property name.
- Click Add new set next to Positive attributes or Negative Attributes to set criteria which will add or remove points from your leads’ scores.
- Set the criteria you see fit, then click Done. To include additional criteria, click AND; this means that leads will have to meet all of the above criteria to qualify.
- To change the number of points added or removed when a lead meets your chosen attribute, choose edit (the ‘pencil’ icon). Enter your chosen numerical value and click set.
Depending on your subscription level and use of HubSpot, lead scoring can be used to segment contacts into lists and enrol them into workflows. It also works with Salesforce integrations.
If you're using HubSpot already, or are looking to learn more about utilising its automation tools, after reading this lead scoring post, please get in touch with the Thrive team on 01325 778 786 or firstname.lastname@example.org.